Lots of experts have written precise, scholarly explanations of what the Bible is. I like David Bowden’s fast-paced original slam poem “I Believe in Scripture”:
There’s so much flying by that I’ve enjoyed Bowden’s piece more as I watched it more times.
What do I mean when I say that the Bible is inspired by God, or God-breathed?
“Because God inspired the words of the Bible, what you read in the Bible are words that have the ‘breath’ of God in them. Therefore, when you read the words of the Bible, the actual Spirit of God is entering your life.
“What is true of God must be characterized in His book. Therefore,
- A holy God wrote a holy book.
- A life-changing God wrote a life-changing book.
- An all-knowing God wrote a book that knows our inner recesses.
- A saving God wrote a book that has a message of salvation.
- An eternal God wrote a book that will give us eternal life.”
-Elmer Towns, What’s Right with the Church, pp. 29, 31